Over the next few weeks, the U.S. Congress will try to pass a tax package. While the promise was to make changes that would help families like yours and mine, the current track outlined in the budget would give $1.5 trillion in tax cuts to millionaires, billionaires, and giant corporations.
Yes, you read that right. $1.5 trillion.
A tax cut with this many zeros has to come from somewhere. Unfortunately, you and I will be footing the bill.
These tax cuts for the wealthy will raise our national deficit and hurt our economy overall. Congress will try to fund this by cutting our families’ health care, nutrition, and early education.
That means Congress will cut essential programs like SNAP, Medicaid, WIC, and Head Start in order to line the pockets of the already wealthy. This is not ok with me. Is it ok with you?
Moms and families across the country aren’t going to stand for this nonsense. We asked for your stories on how these programs help your family and thousands of you responded. Over the next week, we will be sharing those stories here on the MomsRising blog. You can find them either on the main page or linked below:
Want to take action against these awful (and expensive) tax cuts? Here are five things you can do today!
1. Share your family's story! Check out our action page here: http://action.momsrising.org/survey/TaxStories2017/
2. Be featured on our blog; want to learn more? Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Watch our video below about the tax plan and why it is awful for moms and families.
5. Tweet to let your friends, family, and social network know: No to $1.5 trillion in tax cuts to wealthy corporations! Click on one of the three tweets below to send out your message.
- We don’t let kids run with scissors, so why let Congress make dangerous cuts to children’s programs? #HandsOff http://bit.ly/2yJTm87
- Trump’s #taxplan cuts taxes for billionaires instead of investing in programs that help those who need it most #HandsOff http://bit.ly/2yJTm87
- We need a budget that invests in our children’s future not tax cuts to wealthy corps. Speak out & say #HandsOff! http://bit.ly/2yJTm87