By Ahna Bizjak, Parent and Former PTO President, Oregon School District, WI When it comes to learning healthy habits, parents are children’s first teachers. From cooking nutritious meals at home to being a role model for staying physically active, we lay the foundation for our children’s future health habits. Aside from home, children spent the [...]
1. Healthy Communities
2. Ending the School to Prison Pipeline
- Suspensions & Exclusionary School Discipline Policies: Three million students, including preschoolers and kindergartners, are suspended from public schools each year across the nation. This harmful practice begins the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Youth Incarceration: The experience for a child entering a youth prison is similar to the experience of entering an adult prison. Incarceration is traumatic, hurt kids, breaks up families, and leads to lifelong challenges for all affected.
In addition, many children face challenges getting access to safe drinking water. From the school to the home, available, clean water is a priority.
MomsRising has succeeded in getting major fast-food restaurants like Wendy's and Burger King to remove soda as the default option in kid's meals. This year we're also working on soda taxes and labeling, water quality and testing in schools, and breastfeeding.
- Join the 4KidsRising Facebook Group and follow the conversation on Twitter via the #4KidsRising hashtag.
- Join our popular tweetchats including #KidsThrive (last Thurs every month, 8pm ET), #FoodFri (every Friday 1pm ET), #WellnessWeds (Wednesdays 2pm ET), and #EarlyEdChat (Thursdays 2pm ET).
- Connect to others in your community interested in taking action through our #KeepMarching circles!
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Healthy Kids
It’s an emergency! Your voice is needed — and is powerful! Sign up to drop by your members of Congress' office(s) to drop off, or share, important materials on health care and SNAP (food stamps). We'll send you everything you need for a successful visit! Sign up here: http://action.momsrising.org/signup/june-healthcare-snap-visits/ #ProTips To Get Ready For Your Drop [...]
Now more than ever, parents need to back schools up when it comes to achieving a healthy school day. School wellness policies govern junk food marketing, physical education and more in schools. And this year all school districts must update their policies by the end of June. This is a great opportunity to make our [...]
Moms Group Slams Trump Administration Plan to Scale-Back Obama-Era School Lunch Nutritional RequirementPosted May 4, 2017 by Karen Showalter
“The Trump Administration is effectively selling out our kids to big-monied interests that want to pump our kids full of cheap, processed foods.” WASHINGTON DC -- Earlier this week, Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue signed a proclamation that weakens Obama-era healthy school lunch standards. The standards are part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of [...]