This piece originally appeared in the Daily Kos. To say that the last month has been intense is an understatement. I have family in Puerto Rico – my grandfather, aunt, uncle, cousins and the rest of my mother’s extended family– and like every other Puerto Rican on the island, they are feeling the wrath of [...]
1. Healthy Communities
2. Ending the School to Prison Pipeline
- Suspensions & Exclusionary School Discipline Policies: Three million students, including preschoolers and kindergartners, are suspended from public schools each year across the nation. This harmful practice begins the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Youth Incarceration: The experience for a child entering a youth prison is similar to the experience of entering an adult prison. Incarceration is traumatic, hurt kids, breaks up families, and leads to lifelong challenges for all affected.
In addition, many children face challenges getting access to safe drinking water. From the school to the home, available, clean water is a priority.
MomsRising has succeeded in getting major fast-food restaurants like Wendy's and Burger King to remove soda as the default option in kid's meals. This year we're also working on soda taxes and labeling, water quality and testing in schools, and breastfeeding.
- Join the 4KidsRising Facebook Group and follow the conversation on Twitter via the #4KidsRising hashtag.
- Join our popular tweetchats including #KidsThrive (last Thurs every month, 8pm ET), #FoodFri (every Friday 1pm ET), #WellnessWeds (Wednesdays 2pm ET), and #EarlyEdChat (Thursdays 2pm ET).
- Connect to others in your community interested in taking action through our #KeepMarching circles!
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Healthy Kids
It's Friday the 13th! And just like a low-grade horror flick, the zombie-ish attacks on healthcare just keep coming. We fought to defend affordable healthcare for our families over and over again, and we won't stop now. Please take urgent action on the President's new Executive Order at the top of our weekly #5Actions list [...]
In the popular book turned movie, The Hunger Games, set in a post-apocalyptic world, the Capitol of Panem (bread in Latin), rules over thirteen nation-states referred to as districts. After one district attempts to ignite a rebellion against the Capitol, the ruling government obliterates it completely and establishes an annual ritual of carnage as a [...]
It's been another heavy week, with the tragedy in Las Vegas and the ongoing crisis in Puerto Rico weighing heavily on our hearts and minds. But… don’t give up! Never doubt that groups of committed people like us have had - and will continue to have - an impact on issues like these. Sometimes change [...]