A young Muslim woman stands in line anxiously at the fitting room at a clothing store holding a “NaMastay in Bed” sweatshirt. Behind her, a mother waits with a crying baby. The Muslim woman enters a stall and prays quickly, hoping no one notices her bending and kneeling through the door gap. She hears the [...]
1. Healthy Communities
2. Ending the School to Prison Pipeline
- Suspensions & Exclusionary School Discipline Policies: Three million students, including preschoolers and kindergartners, are suspended from public schools each year across the nation. This harmful practice begins the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Youth Incarceration: The experience for a child entering a youth prison is similar to the experience of entering an adult prison. Incarceration is traumatic, hurt kids, breaks up families, and leads to lifelong challenges for all affected.
In addition, many children face challenges getting access to safe drinking water. From the school to the home, available, clean water is a priority.
MomsRising has succeeded in getting major fast-food restaurants like Wendy's and Burger King to remove soda as the default option in kid's meals. This year we're also working on soda taxes and labeling, water quality and testing in schools, and breastfeeding.
- Join the 4KidsRising Facebook Group and follow the conversation on Twitter via the #4KidsRising hashtag.
- Join our popular tweetchats including #KidsThrive (last Thurs every month, 8pm ET), #FoodFri (every Friday 1pm ET), #WellnessWeds (Wednesdays 2pm ET), and #EarlyEdChat (Thursdays 2pm ET).
- Connect to others in your community interested in taking action through our #KeepMarching circles!
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Healthy Kids
As a child, I spent weeks every summer rambling around my family farm in southern Ohio. A favorite destination was an old stream bed that fed into a larger creek on the edge of our property. And although I love taking my own kids down to that farm, I can't let them play in the [...]
Say a powerful, multibillion dollar industry has bet the farm on routinely using important human antibiotics where they’re not needed. Now, make a guess about that industry’s playbook once the world’s most respected health agency pronounces that this practice is endangering lives? Denial? Distraction? Attack the messenger? If you guessed any of the above, you’d [...]
By passing a harmful, heinous tax bill, House Republicans today threw working families under the bus in order to kowtow to big corporations and the wealthiest 1 percent of people in our country. This bill will give tax breaks to those who need it least while doing real damage to our economy and working families [...]