Actually happening: some in Congress are trying to dismantle the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities at work, in school, in public places, and more. It's true. HR 620 - the ADA Education and Reform Act - is moving through the U.S. House of Representatives and is scheduled for a [...]
1. Healthy Communities
2. Ending the School to Prison Pipeline
- Suspensions & Exclusionary School Discipline Policies: Three million students, including preschoolers and kindergartners, are suspended from public schools each year across the nation. This harmful practice begins the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Youth Incarceration: The experience for a child entering a youth prison is similar to the experience of entering an adult prison. Incarceration is traumatic, hurt kids, breaks up families, and leads to lifelong challenges for all affected.
In addition, many children face challenges getting access to safe drinking water. From the school to the home, available, clean water is a priority.
MomsRising has succeeded in getting major fast-food restaurants like Wendy's and Burger King to remove soda as the default option in kid's meals. This year we're also working on soda taxes and labeling, water quality and testing in schools, and breastfeeding.
- Join the 4KidsRising Facebook Group and follow the conversation on Twitter via the #4KidsRising hashtag.
- Join our popular tweetchats including #KidsThrive (last Thurs every month, 8pm ET), #FoodFri (every Friday 1pm ET), #WellnessWeds (Wednesdays 2pm ET), and #EarlyEdChat (Thursdays 2pm ET).
- Connect to others in your community interested in taking action through our #KeepMarching circles!
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Healthy Kids
On Thursday, The Atlantic is hosting a livestreamed event called "Harvest: Transforming the Food We Eat". It looks to be a fascinating discussion of new food technologies, including making meat without animals and other cutting-edge ideas. And don't get me wrong, I have loved The Atlantic ever since seventh grade when reading it made me [...]
/*-->*/ February is American Heart Month and it is a great time to chat about heart health. Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer of women. Each year, 1 in 3 women die of heart disease and stroke. Latina women are at a particularly higher rate for heart disease. According to the American Heart Association, [...]
These Programs Are Literal Lifesavers. Yet The Trump Administration and GOP Leaders Are Now Pivoting to Take Them AwayPosted February 7, 2018 by Elyssa Koidin Schmier
There are literal lifesavers around us that we can’t see! Wondering what I’m talking about? I’m talking about Medicaid and SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or food stamps). They are there when we need them, saving lives and boosting our economy. They are proven programs that lift up our families in times of need—giving us [...]