Are we really surprised? The federal rule that would make it mandatory for restaurant, supermarket and convenience store chains to post calorie counts on their menus may be delayed yet again just days before taking effect on May 5, 2017. This process has pushed on for seven years now... As a mother, public health activist, [...]
1. Healthy Communities
2. Ending the School to Prison Pipeline
- Suspensions & Exclusionary School Discipline Policies: Three million students, including preschoolers and kindergartners, are suspended from public schools each year across the nation. This harmful practice begins the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Youth Incarceration: The experience for a child entering a youth prison is similar to the experience of entering an adult prison. Incarceration is traumatic, hurt kids, breaks up families, and leads to lifelong challenges for all affected.
In addition, many children face challenges getting access to safe drinking water. From the school to the home, available, clean water is a priority.
MomsRising has succeeded in getting major fast-food restaurants like Wendy's and Burger King to remove soda as the default option in kid's meals. This year we're also working on soda taxes and labeling, water quality and testing in schools, and breastfeeding.
- Join the 4KidsRising Facebook Group and follow the conversation on Twitter via the #4KidsRising hashtag.
- Join our popular tweetchats including #KidsThrive (last Thurs every month, 8pm ET), #FoodFri (every Friday 1pm ET), #WellnessWeds (Wednesdays 2pm ET), and #EarlyEdChat (Thursdays 2pm ET).
- Connect to others in your community interested in taking action through our #KeepMarching circles!
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Healthy Kids
It’s simple—our families need access to healthy foods in order to be healthy. Right now, more than 2 million people in North Carolina don't have access to healthy foods and our state ranks amongst the highest in the nation for household food-insecurity. Last year, the North Carolina General Assembly took a big step [...]
Tweetchat BREAKING: The FDA has delayed menu labeling. Join the chat to learn more! Americans consume, on average, one-third of their calories from eating out. Studies show that providing nutrition information at restaurants can help customers make lower-calorie choices, and a national poll found that 80 percent of Americans support calorie labeling at chain restaurants [...]
I came to Christ late in life. Drawn to him out of necessity, but committed because of love. His love. It changed my life. He changed my life. I now try to live as He commanded. I don't always succeed. Some days, I will admit, when I focus on the world, I lose sight of [...]