New underwear. Addiction services. Study tips. Relationship advice. What’s the last thing you searched for online? Soon the highest bidder will be able to buy that information, and more. Congress has just voted to eliminate privacy protections for Internet Service Provider (ISP) customers, including kids. At this point we’re just out of adjectives. But here’s [...]
1. Healthy Communities
2. Ending the School to Prison Pipeline
- Suspensions & Exclusionary School Discipline Policies: Three million students, including preschoolers and kindergartners, are suspended from public schools each year across the nation. This harmful practice begins the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Youth Incarceration: The experience for a child entering a youth prison is similar to the experience of entering an adult prison. Incarceration is traumatic, hurt kids, breaks up families, and leads to lifelong challenges for all affected.
In addition, many children face challenges getting access to safe drinking water. From the school to the home, available, clean water is a priority.
MomsRising has succeeded in getting major fast-food restaurants like Wendy's and Burger King to remove soda as the default option in kid's meals. This year we're also working on soda taxes and labeling, water quality and testing in schools, and breastfeeding.
- Join the 4KidsRising Facebook Group and follow the conversation on Twitter via the #4KidsRising hashtag.
- Join our popular tweetchats including #KidsThrive (last Thurs every month, 8pm ET), #FoodFri (every Friday 1pm ET), #WellnessWeds (Wednesdays 2pm ET), and #EarlyEdChat (Thursdays 2pm ET).
- Connect to others in your community interested in taking action through our #KeepMarching circles!
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Healthy Kids
Attacks on SNAP – the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, our nation’s frontline defense against hunger – are often couched in terms that play upon pervasive myths about SNAP and the people in our nation who struggle with hunger. Let’s take a moment to identify and understand the truth behind three common myths about SNAP. [...]
We are raising awareness this week on strategies that can help build #HealthyCommunities! Healthy communities are essential to the physical and psychological development of all children. Studies show children who attend schools that integrate nutrition and physical activity have an academic and health advantage. With a healthy community in place, children are then able to [...]
In some far away corner of my mind, I know that if I were to really buy the best food for my family, I’d have to do some research than just commissary shopping. I can never bring myself to do it. I’m the kind of person who loves to cook, but hates food shopping. I [...]