Tweetchat! SNAP, or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, helps millions of low-income families have access to healthy food. The SNAP program is under attack in the proposed Farm Bill. We've got all the details on how this could impact millions of families across the United States at this week's #FoodFri chat! This Friday April 20th join [...]
1. Healthy Communities
2. Ending the School to Prison Pipeline
- Suspensions & Exclusionary School Discipline Policies: Three million students, including preschoolers and kindergartners, are suspended from public schools each year across the nation. This harmful practice begins the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Youth Incarceration: The experience for a child entering a youth prison is similar to the experience of entering an adult prison. Incarceration is traumatic, hurt kids, breaks up families, and leads to lifelong challenges for all affected.
In addition, many children face challenges getting access to safe drinking water. From the school to the home, available, clean water is a priority.
MomsRising has succeeded in getting major fast-food restaurants like Wendy's and Burger King to remove soda as the default option in kid's meals. This year we're also working on soda taxes and labeling, water quality and testing in schools, and breastfeeding.
- Join the 4KidsRising Facebook Group and follow the conversation on Twitter via the #4KidsRising hashtag.
- Join our popular tweetchats including #KidsThrive (last Thurs every month, 8pm ET), #FoodFri (every Friday 1pm ET), #WellnessWeds (Wednesdays 2pm ET), and #EarlyEdChat (Thursdays 2pm ET).
- Connect to others in your community interested in taking action through our #KeepMarching circles!
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Healthy Kids
Take Action!SNAP (also known as food stamps) is under attack!! Last week GOP leadership in the U.S. House of Representatives Agriculture Committee introduced a Farm Bill that would increase hunger and hardship by taking away—or cutting—food assistance from many struggling families, including children. This week they are starting debate on the bill. We have no [...]
House Agriculture Committee Chairman Mike Conaway today introduced an ill-considered plan that will make it harder for hungry families to access the food they need. Conaway added a proposal to the 2018 Farm Bill to implement unnecessary, harmful and overly restrictive work requirements to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), which helps families afford groceries [...]
It's another big week! Equal Pay Day was April 10, Tax Day is coming up on the 17th, and the Farm Bill has been introduced! Please take a moment to take action on all of these issues - and more - via the top #5Actions list below! Then ... relax and enjoy your weekend, knowing [...]