TweetchatAs a parent, I want to give my child every opportunity available to grow into a healthy adult. I read them books before bedtime, keep an eye on the television programs they're watching and make sure they get their fruits and veggies. And then I heard about Chlorpyrifos. "Chlorpyrifos is a toxic pesticide that is [...]
1. Healthy Communities
2. Ending the School to Prison Pipeline
- Suspensions & Exclusionary School Discipline Policies: Three million students, including preschoolers and kindergartners, are suspended from public schools each year across the nation. This harmful practice begins the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Youth Incarceration: The experience for a child entering a youth prison is similar to the experience of entering an adult prison. Incarceration is traumatic, hurt kids, breaks up families, and leads to lifelong challenges for all affected.
In addition, many children face challenges getting access to safe drinking water. From the school to the home, available, clean water is a priority.
MomsRising has succeeded in getting major fast-food restaurants like Wendy's and Burger King to remove soda as the default option in kid's meals. This year we're also working on soda taxes and labeling, water quality and testing in schools, and breastfeeding.
- Join the 4KidsRising Facebook Group and follow the conversation on Twitter via the #4KidsRising hashtag.
- Join our popular tweetchats including #KidsThrive (last Thurs every month, 8pm ET), #FoodFri (every Friday 1pm ET), #WellnessWeds (Wednesdays 2pm ET), and #EarlyEdChat (Thursdays 2pm ET).
- Connect to others in your community interested in taking action through our #KeepMarching circles!
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Healthy Kids
Did you see the news? Health care is under attack AGAIN! Don’t worry. It’s YOU to the rescue! Buckle your seat belt and join us for this week's line up of priority actions below! We're talking about health care (of course!), early learning, healthy schools, overtime pay, and tax reform. You'll notice two of our actions involve calling [...]
Happy Back to School! It's that time of year when the kids head back, the weather turns cooler, and everything seems to accelerate a bit. It's also a great time of year to make some friendly noise for healthy schools! We have done so much in recent years, from implementing new healthy meal standards to [...]
In early 2016 an unprecedented gathering occurred in Standing Rock, North Dakota. A group of young indigenous women were compelled to run for Mother Earth. In relays, the woman ran 2,000 miles from Standing Rock to Washington DC to bring petitions and the message that ‘Water is Life’ or ‘Mni Wiconi’. They started in the [...]