Amplifying and mobilizing moms and dads across the nation around healthy kids and communities!
Communities, schools, families, public spaces, systems, companies ... All have a role in supporting healthy kids. Did you know: 1 in 6 kids in the US is food insecure? And 46 million children living in the US will have their lives affected by violence, crime, abuse, or psychological trauma this year. We can do better. MomsRising's work in this area focuses on:
1. Healthy Communities
Children consume a significant portion of their daily calories at school; when schools have healthy foods and beverages in cafeterias and vending machines, children eat better. MomsRising is supporting work around PE and recess, Wellness Policies, marketing in schools, and access to safe drinking water.
Companies spend almost $2 billion per year marketing food to our kids -- often when parents aren't around -- through text messages, games, character endorsements, school materials, and more. MomsRising is targeting companies like Walgreen's and Nickelodeon, insidious practices like digital and targeted marketing to communities of color, online privacy, and important mechanisms like the Corporate Food and Beverage Advertising Initiative.
MomsRising is working to dismantle the school-to-prison pipeline from the point of suspension to the point of youth incarceration. Educating parents and families about the school-to-prison pipeline, and the practices of exclusion and racialized school discipline policies is the first step to building public support for change. Most parents do not know that they have the power to push for community-based alternatives to suspension in schools and even further for alternatives to incarceration in the juvenile justice system. Through 4KidsRising we are addressing:
- Suspensions & Exclusionary School Discipline Policies Three million students, including preschoolers and kindergartners, are suspended from public schools each year across the nation. This harmful practice begins the school-to-prison pipeline.
- Youth Incarceration:The experience for a child entering a youth prison is similar to the experience of entering an adult prison. Incarceration is traumatic, hurt kids, breaks up families, and leads to lifelong challenges for all affected.
3. Healthy Drinks
Sugar-sweetened beverages like soda are the largest source of added sugar in children’s diets. And, they are the third highest source of kids’ calories overall. Drinking just one additional sugary drink every day increases a child’s odds of becoming obese.
In addition, many children face challenges getting access to safe drinking water. From the school to the home, available, clean water is a priority.
MomsRising has succeeded in getting major fast-food restaurants like Wendy's and Burger King to remove soda as the default option in kid's meals. This year we're also working on soda taxes and labeling, water quality and testing in schools, and breastfeeding.
ALL HANDS ON DECK! Parents and community-members like YOU have tremendous power.
- Join the 4KidsRising Facebook Group and follow the conversation on Twitter via the #4KidsRising hashtag.
- Join our popular tweetchats including #FoodFri (every Friday 1pm ET), #WellnessWeds (Wednesdays 2pm ET), and #EarlyEdChat (Thursdays 2pm ET).
- Connect to others in your community interested in taking action through our #KeepMarching circles!
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!