On May 16th, thousands of NC teachers, parents, students, and public school supporters will be headed to Raleigh for the March for Students and the Rally for Respect. Why May 16th? Because it’s the first day of the 2018 legislative session and, as lawmakers reconvene to review the state budget, they need to hear that it’s time step up for our kids, our teachers, and our schools, and fund the schools NC students deserve.
Inspired by teachers in West Virginia, Kentucky, Oklahoma, and Arizona, thousands of NC teachers are taking a personal day to travel to Raleigh and speak out for their students and schools. In fact, so many teachers have called out of work that day that 17 school districts, representing more than a third of NC’s public school students, have closed for the day.
This is an impressive show of solidarity and the decision the teachers made to walk out wasn’t taken lightly.
NC teachers and advocates recognize that standing up for a long term fix will cause short term hardships including: school closures for those who rely on the school day for healthy meals and child care during the work day.
This is where the community comes in and where we band together.
Local coalitions including teachers, parents, the faith community, neighborhood groups, and more are mobilizing to help fill the gaps caused by the school closures. We do this to support the teachers and their efforts and to help fill in the gaps for families.
We will use this blog post and the space below to to gather, share, and update child care and food support resources by school district. While not a comprehensive list, we hope this can serve as a starting point. Listing here does not constitute an endorsement of any particular service but rather items are being shared for informational purposes only.
If you know of additional resources, please send them to Beth@momsrising.org. We will update as needed.
School nutrition from Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools:
“As you know, Wednesday, May 16 has been changed to a teacher workday. In an effort to provide meals for students, our Child Nutrition team has arranged to open three school cafeterias on that day.
Any student from birth through high school is welcome to come to the following schools. Breakfast will be served from 7:30-8:30 a.m. and lunch will be served from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. There is no cost for these meals.
- Carrboro Elementary – 400 Shelton St.
- Northside Elementary – 350 Caldwell St.
- McDougle Elementary – 890 Old Fayetteville Rd.
Additionally, the following five additional community sites will serve lunch from 11:30-12:30.
- Abbey Court/Collins Crossing (next to the pool) – 501 Jones Ferry Rd.
- Ridgefield (community center) – 301 S. Estes Dr.
- Dobbins Hill (playground/community center) – 1749 Dobbins Dr.
- Colony Woods West/Adelaide Walters/Jackie Robinson (small playground) – 4 Adelaide Walters Ct.
- Airport Gardens (playground) – 815 MLK Junior Blvd.
Breakfast will include a choice of cereal, string cheese, assorted juice, milk. Lunch will include chicken nuggets, fresh baby carrots, bag of chips, apple, assorted juice and milk.
We greatly appreciate the work of Chartwells School Dining Services, our Child Nutrition provider, in making these meals available. Please also note this week is School Nutrition Employee Week. Our Child Nutrition team works really hard to provide delicious and nutritious meals for our students every day. Be sure to thank them for a job well done.”
Information on school nutrition information from Durham Public Schools:
Durham Public Schools will provide meal services on May 16 through an extension of their summer feeding program at the 13 schools listed below. *Any* student in Durham County can receive free breakfast and lunch from *any* school listed. It does not have to be the school you attend.
- Bethesda Elementary
- Club Blvd. Elementary
- Eastway Elementary
- Eno Valley Elementary
- Githens Middle
- Glenn Elementary
- R.N. Harris Elementary
- Hillandale Elementary
- Lakewood Montessori Middle
- Sandy Ridge Elementary
- Shepard Elementary
- Southwest Elementary
- Southern School of Energy and Sustainability
School Nutrition Services staff members will be on-site at these locations to prepare and serve meals in the cafeterias. All meals will be free to all students.
Breakfast will be served from 7:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.: muffin, Nutri-Grain bar, fruit juice and milk.
Lunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: turkey and cheese or ham and cheese sandwich, chips, fruit juice, fruit cup, baby carrots, Rice Krispie treat, and milk.
Child care options (from the May 16 coalition):
The Durham Association of Educators is coordinating with community partners to provide child care opportunities for those parents who depend on schools to keep their children safe when they are at work. Information on community-supported childcare options will be posted as soon as it is available. See the Community Resources and fund raising sections above to contribute! Additionally, the following businesses and organizations have announced childcare options:
- YMCA of the Triangle-The YMCA will offer Teacher Workday Care at the Downtown Durham YMCA and Hope Valley Farms YMCA from 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. at each location. The standard daily care fees have been reduced to $25 for May 16. Attendees should bring non-perishable snacks and lunch. Capacity will be limited on May 16 based on available facilities and staffing.Register for YMCA here. Registration is also available at any Durham branch locations.
- Notasium-Notasium is offering a Teacher Workday Camp on May 16th from 9am to 4pm for $49 (20% sibling discount). There will options for early drop-off at 8:30 AM and/or late pickup by 5:00 PM. The cost will be an extra $5 each additional time period.Register for Notasium here.
- Durham Arts Council-The Durham Arts Council is offering a day camp for students on May 16 from 9:00 AM-3:00 PM. The cost of tuition is $38.Register for the Durham Arts Council here.
- Bull City Gymnastics-Bull City Gymnastics will host a Spring Fever Camp on May 16th, 2018. Full-day camps are from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Campers should bring their own lunch and snack for the morning and afternoon. Snacks and drinks are also available for purchase at BCG. Campers should wear a leotard or comfortable play clothes. Full-day camp tuition is $48. Extended day options are available at $4 per add-on, per child: Before Care (8-9am) and After Care (4-5:30pm) Register for Bull City Gymnastics here.
- HOLY INFANT TO OFFER MAY 16 TEACHER WORKDAY CARE-In response to the decision for Durham County & Chapel Hill-Carrboro Schools to close on Wednesday, May 16th for educators to rally for fair work wages & improvement in school conditions, Holy Infant will offer a day-long program, including a lunch meal & snacks, for school-aged children of our parish. Space is limited. Childcare will be available from: 7:45 AM to 4 PM.Requested Donation at Sign-up: $10 To register, please email Leanne by May 11 with the names & ages of your children. Complete the permission slip (click here to print) & bring it with you at drop off that morning. We are also recruiting adults and teens to help. Please let Leanne or Lynn know if you can help for any part of the day. Snack donations welcome.
Resources on academic support, nutrition, and child care in Durham from the May 16 Coalition https://may16.org/durham/
ALL will serve lunch from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. ALL students are welcome!
- Ashley Academy, 1647 Ashley School Circle, W-S 27105
- Bolton Elementary, 1250 Bolton Street, W-S 27103
- Brunson Elementary, 155 N. Hawthorne Road, W-S 27104
- Carter High (Kennedy campus), 851 Highland Court, W-S 27101
- Carver High, 3545 Carver School Road, W-S 27105
- Cook Literacy Model, 920 11th Street NW, W-S 27105
- Diggs-Latham Elementary, 986 Hutton Street, W-S 27105
- East Forsyth Middle, 810 Bagley Drive, Kernersville 27284
- Easton Elementary, 734 E. Clemmonsville Circle, W-S 27107
- Flat Rock Middle, 4648 Ebert Road, W-S 27107
- Forest Park Elementary, 2019 Milford Street, W-S 27107
- Gibson Elementary, 2020 Walker Road, W-S 27106
- Griffith Elementary, 1385 W. Clemmonsville Road, W-S 27127
- Hall Woodward Elementary, 125 Nicholson Road, W-S 27101
- Ibraham Elementary, 5036 Old Walkertown Road, W-S 27105
- Kennedy High, 890 E. 11th Street, W-S 27101
- Kernersville Elementary, 512 W. Mountain Street, Kernersville 27284
- Kimberley Park Elementary, 1701 N. Cherry Street, W-S 27105
- Kimmel Farm Elementary, 4672 Ebert Road, W-S 27127
- Kingswood, 1001 Reynolda Road, W-S 27104
- Konnoak Elementary, 3200 Renon Road, W-S 27127
- Main Street Academy, 2700 S. Main Street, W-S 27127
- Middle Fork Elementary, 3125 Williston Road, Walkertown 27051
- Mineral Springs Elementary, 4527 Ogburn Avenue, W-S 27105
- Mineral Springs Middle, 4559 Ogburn Avenue, W-S 27105
- Moore Magnet Elementary, 451 Knollwood Street, W-S 27103
- North Forsyth High, 5705 Shattalon Drive, W-S 27105
- North Hills Elementary, 340 Alspaugh Drive, W-S 27105
- Northwest Middle, 5501 Murray Road, W-S 27106
- Old Town Elementary, 3930 Reynolda Road, W-S 27106
- Parkland IB Magnet High, 1600 Brewer Road, W-S 27127
- Petree Elementary, 3815 Old Greensboro Road, W-S 27101
- Philo-Hill Magnet Academy, 410 Haverhill Street, W-S 27127
- Smith Farm Elementary, 4250 Johnny Knoll Lane, W-S 27107
- South Fork Elementary, 4332 Country Club Road, W-S 27104
- Speas Global Elementary, 2000 W. Polo Road, W-S 27106
- Walkertown Elementary, 2971 Main Street, Walkertown 27051
- Wiley Magnet Middle, 1400 Northwest Boulevard, W-S 27104
- Winston-Salem Preparatory Academy, 1215 N. Cameron Avenue, W-S 27101
Current list of childcare options compiled by MomsRising member Stephanie Lormand:
- YMCA: https://www.ymcatriangle.org/ae-finley-ymca-alexander-…/blog
- BOYS and GIRLS CLUB will be open to its members
- Camp Rooster~30 camp options listed. Go to the little calendar that says "upcoming" and select May 16 for start and end dates. Then you can see what is near you on the map! https://camprooster.com/
- Parks and Rec Track- out Camp: https://t.co/6Dwq0pTEUH
- Raleigh Parks and Rec Track Out camps-https://twitter.com/raleighparks/status/993862844616671233
- Giggles Drop-In Childcare of Raleigh, 6504 Falls of Neuse Road, Suite 150, Raleigh, NC 27615, 919-438-1126
- RightTimeKids, 10320 Durant Road 919.847.8407
- RightTimeKids, Raleigh: 1028 Oberlin Road, Suite 242, Raleigh, NC 27605, 919.400.5561
- Flour Power Kids Cooking https://www.flourpowerstudios.com/register/northhills/camps
- CraZBrain-Rate is $69/day. Email them: email@example.com
- Arts Academy of Apex, https://www.artsacademyofapex.com/, 612 NC Hwy 751 Apex, NC 27523, firstname.lastname@example.org \ 919.323.2219
- XL SportsWorld,1016 Investment Blvd, Apex, NC 27502, Phone: (919) 387-2955
- Bounce U, 3419 Apex Peakway, Apex, NC 27502, (919) 303-3368
- Kool Kidz drop-in, Phone: (919) 439-3342, Address: 806 Perry Road, Apex, NC 27502, Email: email@example.com
- S’kids drop-in, 5160 Sunset Lake Rd #111, Apex, NC 27539, (919) 362-5445
- TPANC Track Out/Baseball Camp-- APEX location only tpanc.com, https://www.instagram.com/tpatrackoutbaseballcamp/
- Bond Park Community Center,Town of Cary Parks, Recreation & Cultural Resources, Phone: 919-462-3970, http://townofcary.org/…/camp-information-track-out-summer-a…
- Giggles, Harrison Pointe Shopping Center, Address: 267 Grande Heights Dr, Cary, NC 27513, Phone: (919) 468-1001
- Allen’s Taekwondo, Day camp for kids on the 16th,$30 for the day, kids will need to bring a lunch (no peanuts). Call for details: (919) 467-5425.
- Science Fun for Everyone, http://www.sciencefun.org/single-day-mini-camps/, The Science Lab Location, 111 James Jackson Ave, #131, Cary, NC 27513
- Sk8-Cary- one-day camp for all action sports. http://www.townofcary.org/recreation-en…/facilities/sk8-cary, Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zaniac Parkside - 9a to 4p, $89 https://www.zaniaclearning.com/parkside/
- Avery Street Recreation Center, https://apm.activecommunities.com/…/…/school-s-out-days/2144
- Crazy Glaze Ceramic Studio, Art camp: Choose 9 am to 4 pm or an extended day from 8 am to 6 pm. Pottery, clay, canvas and other fun projects. Sign up now, space is limited! https://placefull.com/may-16th-no-school-art-camp
- Holly Springs Parks and Rec-- for their *current* before/after and track-out kids ONLY. Active Tracks Camp, http://www.activetrackscamp.com
- Bryson's Play Room- $50, http://www.brysonsplayroom.net/about/, 132 West Holly Springs Rd., Holly Springs, NC 27540
- Tumble Gym, http://www.thetumblegym.com/hollysprings.php
- Daniel Dhers Action Sports Complex will have a day camp in Holly Springs. https://www.facebook.com/danieldhersasc/photos/a.262367220592458.1073741829.224503777712136/994560720706434/?type=3&theater
- Heritage Kids Drop off, http://www.heritagekidswakeforest.com
- Young's Gym had limited openings, https://www.youngsgym.com/
WE WILL CONTINUE TO UPDATE THESE RESOURCES AS NEW INFORMATION COMES IN. IF YOU KNOW OF RESOURCES AVAILABLE FOR ANY OF THE 18 SCHOOL DISTRICTS THAT ARE CLOSING, PLEASE EMAIL BETH@MOMSRISING.ORG