We have a win to celebrate! This week we saw a big win in Kansas to protect abortion rights because everyday people like you stood up, voted, and made their voices heard! Now – in no small part due to your efforts – we have an opportunity to help move another wave of progress forward with the Inflation Reduction Act, which includes health care, climate change, prescription drug pricing reductions, and more (Scroll down to see the actions you can take on this). Protecting the health of our families and communities, as well as the climate are key. Everyone gets sick, and everyone should have a chance to get better. After all, affordable access to healthcare and prescription medications allows families across the country to focus their time and energy on the things that truly matter. Your U.S. Senators need to hear from you to get these critical policies over the finish line.
-- Selina, Felicia, Tasmiha, Kristin, and the rest of the MomsRising.org & MamásConPoder Team
Quick signature in support of the Inflation Reduction Act!
The U.S. Senate has come to an agreement on a bill that will rein in Big Pharma’s price gouging, help millions of people keep their health insurance, tax mega-corporations, and lower carbon emissions.
The Senate is set to vote THIS WEEK on the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, a massive tax and investment plan, that will help make our tax system more fair, support and build up the health care of underserved communities, and tackle the climate crisis!
The proposed legislation will be a historic win for families and our future!
Tell your U.S. Senator to lower prescription drug prices by letting Medicare negotiate prices!
The health care/climate bill will remove an unfair legal prohibition that has long prevented Medicare from negotiating lower drug prices which has driven them sky-high. There will also be a cap on Medicare recipients’ out-of-pocket prescription drug costs at $2,000 each year.
Call your U.S. Senator at 1-855-408-2357 and tell them to vote YES on the Inflation Reduction Act!
Congress needs to take action to prevent a health care price hike!
The Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 will lower health care premiums by extending financial assistance for ACA plans under the American Rescue plan for three years. It’s estimated that 9 million Americans would pay significantly higher premiums, and more than 3 million people would become uninsured altogether. Let’s get the bill over the finish line!
Call 1-855-463-3240 now to tell your U.S. Senator to make the Health Care Marketplace Subsidies permanent and pass the Inflation Reduction Act!
Why do we need to lower prescription drug prices?
The Inflation Reduction Act will allow Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices and cap out-of-pocket costs for Medicare beneficiaries to $2,000/per year. This will make a huge difference for people who are struggling to afford their prescriptions. Personal experiences are powerful and can make a HUGE difference in helping our communities and elected leaders understand how public policies impact families. Have you or a family member:
- Struggled to afford a medication prescribed by your doctor?
- Foregone filling a prescription or getting a vaccine due to cost?
- Faced a medical issue because you weren't able to get the medication you needed?
- Made financial trade offs due to the high price of a prescription medication?
Help create a tsunami of support for the Inflation Reduction Act!
The U.S. Senate is in final negotiations about the reconciliation package, and we need to create a tsunami of voices to encourage them to pass it! The proposed legislation will be a historic win for families and our future! It tackles some critical issues:
- Making prescription drugs more affordable: The bill removes an unfair legal prohibition that has long prevented Medicare from negotiating lower drug prices which has driven them sky-high. It will also penalize drug companies that raise prices faster than the rate of inflation and place a cap on Medicare recipients’ out-of-pocket prescription drug costs at $2,000 each year. It’s estimated that the government will raise $300 billion by reining in drug prices.
- Extending subsidies for people who buy their own insurance: The bill lowers health care premiums by extending financial assistance for ACA plans under the American Rescue plan for three years. It’s estimated that 9 million Americans would have been paying significantly higher premiums, and more than 3 million people would have become uninsured altogether, without this provision.
- Making sure corporations pay their fair share: A 15% corporate profits minimum tax so wealthy corporations don’t get away with paying $0 in federal income taxes on billions of dollars in profits. It’s estimated that this tax will raise about $450 billion dollars and reduce the deficit. In addition, this bill closes the carried interest loophole—a favorite loophole of private equity, real estate, and hedge fund managers—and in doing so raises $14 billion.
- Taking decisive action on the climate crisis: Invests $370 billion into energy and climate which will allow the U.S. to lower greenhouse gas emissions by 40%, an incredibly meaningful step in combating climate change.
P.P.S – On Tuesday in Kansas, 59% to 41% of people of all genders came together in record numbers to protect their communities and abortion access in the state to reject anti-abortion extremism and the dangerous post-Roe world the U.S. Supreme Court created.
This is a moment of hope for the future of abortion access in our nation. Let’s take this time to celebrate – and double down on activating – so we can have victories like this one in states across the country. We need support through donations for the next phases of our fight.
*CLICK here to contribute to our Moms Voting Program to help get out the vote in the general election and create a rising tide of change.