Everyone who becomes pregnant or gives birth should have access to a safe, healthy, and respectful experience. Access to health insurance and quality, equitable health care are a crucial part of this. However, currently more U.S. women are dying from pregnancy or childbirth complications than in recent history and the U.S. has one of the worst maternal and infant mortality rates of any developed nation. There are also scary racial disparities. Black women have consistently experienced an almost 4-times greater risk of death from pregnancy complications than White women, independent of age, parity, or education.
These statistics are unacceptable, we can and must do better to ensure that births are as safe and healthy as possible for all mothers.
This is why we need YOUR story. Have you or a loved one
- Experienced health complications related to birth before, during or after delivery?
- Had a traumatic birth experience?
- Know someone who died or nearly died due to pregnancy, childbirth, or within a year after delivery?
- Faced unsatisfactory care or access to care when it came to maternity, birth, or infant care?
- Had a pregnancy, birth or postpartum complication, or infant care that was remedied or improved by access to health care (i.e the ACA, employer-sponsored health insurance, or Medicaid)?
- Experienced birth or infant care related issues that impacted the health or livelihood of a child?
- Taken leave (paid or unpaid) to recover and bond with baby?
- Returned to work sooner than hoped after birth and experienced subsequent health impacts?
Share your thoughts and experiences with MomsRising and we’ll include it in materials we use to educate our nation and decisionmakers about the maternal and child health problems in this country. We must all work to ensure that the health of women and their children are made a priority!