Momentum building for Paid Sick Days in MA!
We had a great event in Boston at the MA State House last week supporting paid sick days, thanks to MomsRising members' work and donations, and the wonderful work of our coalition partners in Massachusetts.
Together, we got a lot done in just one day!
* MomsRising members joined hundreds of others to stand up in support of paid sick days. Representatives from a wide range of organizations spoke in favor of the bill.
* Legislators, including some new faces, spoke about their support for passing paid sick days this year.
* Your messages were delivered to every legislator, attached to delicious Valentine's day cookies.
* We made the press! Check out the great article here.
* Members sent 763 letters to your legislators to tell them their cookies were on the way!
All that, done with many members right in front of their own computers. And we were heard! Here's what Senator Pat Jehlen had to say about paid sick days after the event:
"Paid sick days are the missing piece of health care reform. From my own personal experience, I know of the personal suffering which comes to an employee who must report to work while sick, or while a child or elderly parent is sick. No one should have to choose between their health, or their family's health and their job."
We're making progress--and we'd love to hear from you. Do you have a fun idea for a way to catch legislators' attention and help win paid sick days?
Share your comments and ideas in the comment box below!
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of MomsRising.org.
MomsRising.org strongly encourages our readers to post comments in response to blog posts. We value diversity of opinions and perspectives. Our goals for this space are to be educational, thought-provoking, and respectful. So we actively moderate comments and we reserve the right to edit or remove comments that undermine these goals. Thanks!