- The rate of American moms who die in childbirth has been rising for 20 years, worse than any other developed nation?
- The surge in the rate of babies born dangerously early, is unmatched in the past eight years?
- There's an epidemic of stress and depression among parents due to the worse parental leave policies in the developed world?
- That large groups of people, who are more likely to suffer serious complications of birth, simply because of the color of their skin?
- That there has been a drop in availability of qualified midwives, obstetricians and family medicine physicians to deliver babies across the country?
More U.S. women are dying from pregnancy or childbirth complications today than in recent history. Globally, maternal mortality decreased by 45%, yet in the US, all states except CA saw an increase. The rising rates aren't the only concern, there are also troubling racial disparities. For example black women in the US are up to 3x more likely to die in pregnancy & childbirth than white women, independent of age, parity, or education.