How to drop off MomsRising's #GunSafety packet at your U.S. Representative's state office
Thank you for signing up to deliver MomsRising's "Welcome Home" gun safety packet to your member of Congress's in-district office.
The packet includes a coloring page of the Statue of Liberty (crying because of gun violence) and a gun safety message with information and stories that help convey to your member of Congress that you are looking to him or her to take action on reducing gun violence!
You can personalize the packet by giving the Statue of Liberty to your child to color or coloring it yourself. But if you don’t have time to color it, delivering it without coloring it is fine too!
But please remember to sign the message!
Showing up at your U.S. Representative's district office is easy and it makes a HUGE difference. Here’s how to do it:
1. Find your U.S. Representative’s in-district offices and identify which is closest to you. Go to the U.S. House of Representative's website and enter your zip code. The "Find Your Representative" tool will identify your member of Congress. When their profile picture appears, select the little computer screen icon, which will take you to their web page, so you can find where their district offices are located.
2. Download and print out a copy of MomsRising’s "Welcome Home" gun safety packet. Color the Statue of Liberty page (if you and/or your kids have time!) and sign the message.
Download materials here:
3. Deliver this week before the 4th of July weekend!
Here's what to say when you get there:
"Hi, my name is XXXX and I am a constituent of Representative XXXX and a member of MomsRising.org. I’m here to talk about gun violence. May I please speak briefly with your chief of staff or appropriate representative? "
(If no one is available, just speak to the person who received you.)
“MomsRising has more than a million members across the country and we are very concerned about gun violence. I am here to urge Representative XXX to do everything possible to help reduce gun violence. As a constituent, I want him/her to know that I'm looking to him/her to take leadership and support a vote on gun safety legislation in the U.S. House of Representatives. Since the Sandy Hook shooting in December 2012, the House hasn't had a single vote on gun safety, and that's not right.
“I would like to leave this "Welcome Home" gun safety packet – which includes facts and personal experiences with gun violence and how devastating it is for families and communities. We just can't tolerate it anymore.
"Would you please see that Representative XXX gets these materials?
Other things you can do while you are there:
• Pick a story from the packet and share it with (read it aloud to) the staff member.
• Using your mobile phone, take pictures or video of the staff member holding the booklet.
4. You’re done! Please report back to us how it went, so we can use your visit to hold your member of Congress accountable here in Washington, DC! Send any updates or pictures to Gloria@MomsRising.org.