Equal Pay Day – April 2nd – is right around the corner and marks how far into 2019 women have to work to earn what white men were paid in 2018 alone. Women overall make just 80 cents for every dollar paid to white men and women of color and moms experience wage hits on top of that.
>>> To mark the day and spread awareness about the punitive gender wage gap and possible solutions, like paid family and medical leave, MomsRising and Main Street Alliance created custom coffee sleeves and napkins for coffee shops across the nation to use on Equal Pay Day.
Why do we need equal pay and paid leave? Well, paid family and medical leave would help close the wage gap and right now, women of color and moms still earn far too little compared to white men and dads. Moms are typically paid just 69 cents for every dollar paid to dads, while Latinas are paid 53 cents, Native American women 58 cents, Black women 61 cents, and Asian women 85 cents for every dollar paid to white men.
* * * Show your support for equal pay and paid leave by stopping by a participating coffee shop on Equal Pay Day – April 2nd!
- Ritual Cafe in Des Moines, IA
- Beadology Iowa in Iowa City, IA
- Laughing Tree Café and Tea in Waterloo, IA
- Karma Coffee Cafe in Hiawatha, IA
- Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery, ME
- Fork and Spoon in Bangor, ME
- Wildflours Gluten-Free Bakery in Brunswick, ME
- Butter Cafe in Minneapolis, MN
- Snooty Fox Tea Shop in Duluth, MN
- Momma's Kitchen in St. Paul, MN
- Geek Love Cafe in Minneapolis, MN
- Workhorse Coffee Bar in St. Paul, MN
- Bipartisan Cafe in Portland, OR
- Pieper Cafe in Portland, OR
- Taste Buds Cafe at the Capitol in Salem, OR
- The Limerick Neighborhood Delicatessen and BUZZ in Lancaster, PA
- Harvest Moon Bagel Co. in Lancaster, PA
- Morovian College in Bethlehem, PA
- Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA
- Caffè d'Amore in Pittsburgh, PA
- Espresso a Mano in Pittsburgh, PA
- Flow State CoffeeBar in Philadelphia, PA
- Cornerstone Coffeehouse in Camp Hill, PA
- Bolton Valley Resort in Richmond, VT
- Red Hen Baking Co. in Middlesex, VT
- 3 Squares Café in Vergennes, VT
- Nutty Steph's in Middlesex, VT
- Stowe Street Cafe in Waterbury, VT