Cowabunga! Rough Waters for Health Reform
True story. I'm sitting on the beach with my kids earlier this week having a relaxing vacation in California and two buff twenty year old surfer dudes come over and say they are from "Grassroots Company," or some such thing, and they want my signature to repeal health care reform.
Sometimes, there's just no getting away from the office.
This blip in my vacation goes to show that though we've passed health reform, it's too early to kick back and stop the fight. There are still many opponents of health reform who are literally combing the beaches and using any other means possible to repeal the law and unseat the legislators who voted in favor of it in the November elections.
Right now, in order to counter these threats, it's crucial for all Americans to hear that health reform is already starting to help families. So, we're on a special mission to collect stories from families in every state in the nation who are already being helped by health reform.
Please share your experiences about how health reform is helping your family, even if it's just helping you sleep better at night with one-click here:
Here are some questions to help you get started:
• Did you recently obtain coverage for a child with a pre-existing condition? Have you struggled to get your child covered in the past?
• Are you a small business owner who will benefit from the new health insurance tax credits?
• Are you a senior who has recently received a $250 rebate check to make it easier to purchase prescription drugs?
• Have you put off getting preventive care like a mammogram or colonoscopy because you simply couldn’t afford it? Health reform will change this.
• Will your older child now be able to stay on your health insurance plan?
• Have you ever had your care rescinded after you got sick--and now you can sleep better at night knowing this won't be allowed to happen again?
• Does your insurance plan currently have a lifetime limit on the care it will provide? Lifetime limits will be illegal beginning next month.
• Are you or someone you know enrolled in the new Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan?
If you have had any of these experiences, or any others that show how health reform has helped your family, or will soon help your family, please share them here.