America's Crisis: Military and Veteran Food Insecurity #FoodFri
Heroes. This is the word that comes to mind when I think of our military and veterans. Their patriotism keeps our nation safe. Their sacrifices maintain our security.
Unfortunately, our heroes are unable to provide enough food for themselves and their families.
There are food pantries serving military families that operate on-base at installations across the country. While it is good that such emergency assistance is available, there is no reason that military families should have to rely on food pantries to put food on their tables.
Our heroes are hungry and they need our help.
Join #FoodFri on Friday, November 13, 2015, at 1 p.m., EST, to chat with @MomsRising, @StopHunger and @MOAA_MilLife. Learn more about Military and Veteran food insecurity, how you can raise your voice to help feed our hungry heroes, and also share and find resources.
Feel free to spread the word by clicking below.
To join and follow the conversation on Twitter use the #FoodFri Hashtag in each tweet.
You can also follow the chat on Twubs.com/FoodFri. Twubs allows you to follow MomsRising’s registered hashtags by creating an account. Below I have noted the steps.
- Create an account using an email or your Twitter account.
- Enter the desired hashtag, #FoodFri, #WellnessWed or #EcoTipTue, in the search box found at the top of the page. Click Enter. A new page will open with the desired chat.
- Find the “Join This Twub” button found on the right-hand side bar and join the group.
- Adjust the speed of the conversation to your liking. Options are: Fast, Medium, Slow, Slower, or Slowest.
- Introduce yourself and join the conversation, by entering your comment, tips, or questions in the “Tweet to #FoodFri as [YourName] box”
- Or, respond to a specific tweet by hovering over the right-hand side of the individual’s tweet and selecting one of the icons.
More about our #FoodFri Featured Co-Host(s):
MAZON is a national nonprofit working to end hunger among people of all faiths and backgrounds in the United States and Israel. Founded in 1985, MAZON employs three interrelated strategies as part of our holistic approach to ending hunger:
- Education & Advocacy: We educate the public about the severity of hunger in the US and Israel and work with leaders to strengthen federal nutrition programs.
- Partnership Grants: We support the advocacy work of organizations advancing long-term solutions in their communities.
- Strategic Initiatives: We develop and implement strategic initiatives designed to encourage the anti-hunger community to effectively address emerging
MAZON is committed to ensuring that those who make great personal sacrifices in service to our country should not have to struggle to provide regular, nutritious meals for their families. MAZON’s Help Our Heroes initiative is focused on addressing the food security needs of our nation’s military and veteran families by working with military and veteran agencies, Members of Congress, the Administration, national organizational partners, and our network of local grantee partners across the country.