Happy New Year! 2017 was a tremendous year of *women power, mom power, parent power, and people power!* We called, emailed, and visited decision-makers on top issues affecting our families, including health care, immigration, taxes, more - literally hundreds of thousands of times. THANK YOU! It all made a difference. And due to you, we won on health care. Twice!
Now let's get 2018 off to a strong start, and renew our intentions to speak up - loud and clear - around issues affecting women, moms, parents and families. And we'll make it easy for you to #resist, #insist, and #persist in 2018 with our #5Actions of the week. As always, these actions are easy and critically important, from standing for DREAMers to protecting health care for kids.
Be sure to share these actions with friends and family too. Who doesn't appreciate the feeling of power and satisfaction that comes from speaking up, being heard, and having an impact on the issues you care about? Share the love!
Here we go! The #5Actions of this week! ->
1. Demand Congress Reject President Trump’s Blatant Racism
BACKGROUND: We condemn President Trump's destructive racism and call on Congress to stand with immigrant communities and with the integrity of our nation. Not only is Donald Trump’s racism dangerously harmful but it also puts lives at risk because he’s putting his racism into policy that fractures families and hatefully targets entire communities.
2. Tell Congress: Don’t Gamble with Our Kids’ Health!
BACKGROUND: It’s been over 100 days since the GOP leadership in Congress let the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) expire. With short-term patches and some creative budgeting, they’ve managed to limp funding along, but the time is up and the health and well-being of our children is at stake. Leaders from both sides of the aisle have agreed to a full 5 year extension of CHIP, they just have to stop playing partisan politics with children’s health and pass it! On January 19th, Congress will vote on a new spending bill and it must include long-term funding for CHIP! States can’t rely on limited patchwork funding and families can’t afford to go without coverage for their kids.
3. Urge Leaders to Protect TPS for Salvadorans and Their U.S. Citizen Children!
BACKGROUND: Take Action on behalf of 200,000 legal immigrants from El Salvador who are losing their legal status and being put in harm’s way! President Trump has announced that he will end Temporary Protected Status or TPS for 320,000 people who have been living legally in the U.S. for decades! This decision is devastating for these immigrants and their 192,000 U.S. citizen children who have grown up in the U.S. Sign on to this letter to Congress urging them to take immediate action to protect people who have lived and worked in the U.S. legally for decades.
4. We Can Still Save Net Neutrality! Call on Congress to Act
BACKGROUND: An open internet is essential to protecting freedoms we hold dear: our ability to innovate, speak our mind, connect, and hear diverse voices and opinions. Last month the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted to roll back 2015 rules that require internet service providers (ISPs) to treat all content the same. This was a huge blow to our ability to speak, organize and share information online. BUT IT'S NOT OVER. Congress has the ability to reverse this awful decision, through a "Resolution of Disapproval". Call on Congress to act!
5. THANK YOU!
In the final weeks of 2017, over 1,000 generous people like you chipped in to this movement, helping us surpass our $50,000 goal for women and families. Thank you so much for being a part of MomsRising. Here is how we intend to honor your generosity and support in 2018:
- DRIVE massive mom turnout for the midterm elections through our #MomsVote program.
- DEFEND health care with every last ounce of our strength, including the Affordable Care Act, Medicare, Medicaid, and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP).
- FIGHT, with love in our hearts, against all forms of discrimination, bigotry, sexism and hate, and for policies that keep families and communities safe and intact.
- SUPPORT family economic security policy reform, like equal pay, paid family/medical leave and sick days, at the national, state, and local level, to help women, families and the economy to thrive.
- EXPAND our #KeepMarching program, where motivated grassroots leaders like you can receive direct support and training to form a MomsRising action group right in your own neighborhood.
We look forward to #KeepMarching with you in 2018!