America’s Moms Say Representative DeLauro Has Earned Superhero Status
July 30, 2010
MomsRising Presents Congresswoman with Superhero Award
Dubbing U.S. Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) a “superhero” for her outstanding, heroic and successful efforts to pass the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in the U.S. House, MomsRising, the online and on-the-ground organization for moms and everyone who has a mom, yesterday presented her with the MomsRising Superhero Award.
MomsRising National Health Care Campaign Director Donna Norton presented the award to the Congresswoman on behalf of the MomsRising members in her district and the more than one million MomsRising members nationwide.
“Congresswoman DeLauro has always been a hero for children and families and today we officially honor her as a superhero,” said MomsRising Executive Director Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner. “Her efforts to get this crucial legislation through the House of Representatives were super-heroic and frankly, almost super-human. Moms and dads across the country owe The Congresswoman a huge debt of gratitude and we’re here to deliver on that.”
MomsRising organized its members across the country in numerous campaigns in support of health reform. Actions included:
- Holding in-district meeting with Members of Congress;
- Sharing stories that illustrated the importance of health reform legislation in a book,
- Mothers Know Best: MomsRising Members Share Their Personal Healthcare Stories;
- Distributing flyers dispelling myths and untruths about health reform as members of local “Healthcare Reform Truth Squads”
- Urging Members of Congress to wear pacifier lapel pins to show their support for health reform; and
- Making more than half a million constituent contacts to the offices of Members of Congress in support of health reform.