Vote pending for NC early childhood workforce
It's time to take action for early educators! H882, a historic, bipartisan bill to strengthen the early education workforce, will be heard by the House Health Committee Thursday, May 2nd, at 8 AM.
This is the best chance we have ever had to strengthen early childhood educators through increased education standards and compensation. H882 is the first bill of its kind for the early childhood system and early childhood teachers. It promotes quality, increases access, and supports our woefully underpaid early childhood teachers.
H882 would do several important things to ensure that early childhood educators have the knowledge and skills to best support young children's healthy development. It would:
- Define what early childhood educators need to know and be able to do;
- Set education standards that support early childhood educators in obtaining those skills;
- Provide a means to compensate early childhood educators for meeting those standards, and thus helping support an early learning workforce that currently makes $10/ hr or less on average;
- Create accountability to ensure those standards are being met; and
- Develop a pilot program for infants and toddlers modeled after NC Pre-K. 
It is critical that NC House Representatives and members of the Health Committee hear from their constituents that this bill is important. Please take action TODAY to ensure this bill moves forward!
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect those of MomsRising.org.
MomsRising.org strongly encourages our readers to post comments in response to blog posts. We value diversity of opinions and perspectives. Our goals for this space are to be educational, thought-provoking, and respectful. So we actively moderate comments and we reserve the right to edit or remove comments that undermine these goals. Thanks!