Immigrant raid resources
You have probably seen press accounts that the Trump Administration plans to carry out mass arrests to speed deportations of thousands of immigrants, likely starting this Sunday morning, July 14 and continuing during the week. These raids were expected to target 10 cities, but one of them, New Orleans, is reported to be off the list in deference to the storm conditions affecting the city. The other cities still targeted are: Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York, and San Francisco. There are also reports of ICE personnel arriving in Immokalee, Florida, with arrests of agricultural workers expected there. The Coalition on Human Needs strongly condemns these threatened raids. After shocking the conscience of the nation as we witnessed the grievous and continuing harm to children separated from their parents, the Trump Administration is apparently intent on recklessly tearing more parents from children.
We applaud the American Civil Liberties Union and organizations serving asylum-seekers who filed suit to stop the Trump Administration from its attempt to round up immigrants for immediate deportation without the due process of a court hearing. So much is at stake here: the very lives of people who would be returned to the violence from which they fled; the health of their children; the values of our nation; and the rule of law.
We pledge to continue to oppose the Administration’s reckless endangering of children, teenagers, and families. We know that members of the human needs community nationwide are stepping up to make sure that immigrants know their rights and have their support.
Below are some important resources that service providers and others in the human needs community can use to help their immigrant neighbors who are threatened:
- CLASP Immigration Raid Resources
- National Immigration Law Center How to Be Prepared for an Immigration Raid
- Center for American Progress tweet thread with lots of great resources including info-graphics on your rights, legal assistance numbers by location and more!
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Local Raids Response Hotlines and Contact Information Including Atlanta | Baltimore/Washington, D.C. | Chicago | Denver | Houston | Los Angeles and San Diego | Miami | New Orleans | New York City | San Francisco
- Fair Immigration Reform Movement Community Raid Preparedness Checklist
- National Immigrant Justice Center Community Resources
- Catholic Legal Immigration Network, Inc. Rapid Response Toolkit
- The Episcopal Church Resources for Communities During ICE Raids
- Immigrant Defense Project Know Your Rights Flyers in English or Spanish
- United We Dream Know Your Power, Know Your Rights
- American Immigration Lawyers Association Know Your Rights Handouts in English or Spanish
There will also be a tweetstorm on Monday, July 15 sponsored by the Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP) and MomsRising: