Even More U.S. Moms Are Dying During and After Childbirth. Congress Must Pass the Momnibus Act Now.
“It’s hard to imagine a crisis more urgent than our country’s maternal health crisis, which is getting worse – not better. It is shameful that the United States is the most dangerous place to give birth in the developed world, with Black, Indigenous, and Latina moms even more likely to lose their lives during and after childbirth than white women. The COVID-19 pandemic made a bad situation even worse, and now the state abortion bans and restrictions the U.S. Supreme allowed threaten even more harm to the health of women, moms, and pregnant people.
“Congress must act now, by passing the Black Maternal Health Momnibus – 13 evidence-based bills that address every driver of this crisis. The Momnibus Act would take urgently needed steps, including:
- Providing more funds to strengthen federal maternal health programs;
- Supporting diversification of the perinatal health workforce;
- Extending WIC eligibility during the postpartum and breastfeeding periods;
- Addressing social determinants of health;
- Providing grants to improve maternal mental health;
- Promoting maternal vaccinations;
- Supporting anti-bias trainings for health care professionals; and
“America’s moms want Congress to pass the entire package – not one or two of those bills, but all 13.
“It is not lost on us that states with the most restrictive abortion access laws also have higher maternal death rates. So in this post-Roe era, we are fighting for safe childbirth and full access to abortion care. Data from the CDC show that maternal deaths in recent years have increased by a dramatic 40%. We need solutions to our maternal health crisis now. Lives are literally at stake.”