With Mother’s Day around the corner, we find these lines from Emma Lazarus’s poem, The New Colossus, referring to the Statue of Liberty, incredibly inspiring:
“Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand a mighty woman with a torch, whose flame is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand glows world-wide welcome…”
We’re celebrating this noble sentiment with a Mother Liberty Parade & Delivery in Washington, D.C., on Friday, May 12:
- Trumpeting a pro-immigrant message of liberty and justice for everyone
- Delivering thousands of biodegradable Statues of Liberty* to Trump Hotel - with strollers!
- Amplifying our message with a loud, proud 12-piece marching band
- Outfitting grassroots mom marchers with Statue of Liberty Crowns
Want extra buttons? Donate $25 and we'll send two. Donate $50 and we'll send 5. Donate $100 or more and we'll send 10 buttons to give away to friends and family.
The moms of America and the people who love us know that the diversity of our nation is what has made us a strong, innovative, and prosperous country. We know that immigrants play a large and important role in our economy.
We do not want to build walls, deport immigrants or ban refugees. We do not want to create divisions in our communities.
Just like that mighty woman with a torch -- our great Mother Liberty -- we want liberty and justice for everyone.
Remember, every gift gets a button. Donate $25 or more, you’ll get two buttons - one for you and one for a mom who believes in liberty and justice for everyone, just like you!
We need to go BIG on this - the more voices, the bigger the impact we’ll have with elected leaders, with the media, and with the Oval Office. There is strength in numbers, so send your support now!
Keep marching, MomsRising. It’s making a difference.
* Many MomsRising members expressed their concern about the environmental impact of this action, worried that thousands of Statues of Liberty, no matter how small, would just end up as landfill. We heard you! It took us a while to work it out, but we did. We’ve had thousands and thousands of biodegradable Statues of Liberty carved out of wood that will comprise the bulk of our delivery, along with just a few actual molded plastic figures.