On New Year's Day 2013, Congress listened to voices of millions of mothers and families and passed "fiscal cliff" legislation that makes the wealthiest in this country pay more of their fair share.
Who helped win the day? You did!
Our nation needs your help again. There is another Congressional fiscal deadline in TWO MONTHS.
*Tell the new Congress NOT to balance the budget on the backs of children and families as they face this new deadline: http://action.momsrising.org/sign/noharmfulcuts1/
In the recent fiscal cliff Congressional crisis, your letters, stories and calls helped ensure that families across this country won't pay more in income taxes and will continue to benefit from important tax credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit and the Child Tax Credit, and to protect vital programs like unemployment insurance. Medicaid, which is critical to 1 in 3 children, was not cut in this process.
It's true, we didn’t get everything we wanted but one thing is crystal clear: This is a victory for Mom Power.
But the fight isn't over. This was just one step in holding off devastating cuts.
Why send this message now? The recent fiscal cliff deal was just one step in holding off devastating cuts. We have a long road before us. In two months, Congress must act again and MomsRising must continue to fight to protect Medicaid, food assistance, education, housing, and other programs that are critical to our nation's families, as well as to our national economy, every step of the way.
We urge the administration and Congress to prioritize the needs of children and families throughout this lengthy process. After all, strong families make a strong national economy.
*The 113th Congress convenes today! Tell the new Congress to fight against harmful cuts and protect families as the next fiscal deadline looms. http://action.momsrising.org/sign/noharmfulcuts1/
Why is this important?
There are many corporate lobbyists walking the halls of our nation's Capitol, and elected leaders need to also hear from real people about the impacts in our daily lives. As we just saw in the fiscal cliff debate, the voices of moms, dads, aunts, uncles and real people have a big impact in Congress. And your voice is needed again.
How did we make an impact?
For the past few months, MomsRising members have spoken clearly, urging Congress to not raise taxes on moms and families in order to protect Bush-era tax breaks for millionaires, and also urged leaders to prevent drastic cuts to healthcare, education, and critical economic security and safety net programs. MomsRising has been taking action and making the voices of our more than one million members heard through multiple avenues, including:
- In-district deliveriesin nearly 40 states of personal stories from MomsRising members about how the fiscal cliff will impact them;
- Deliveries to every single Congressional office in Washington, D.C. of hundreds of stories about the financial burdens facing moms and dads across the United States;
- Continuously updating Congress with tens of thousands of signatures on letters and petitions calling on Congress to end the Bush-era tax cuts for the very wealthy;
- Telling the stories of mothers and families in the media; and
- Meeting with Vice President Biden and others in the administration to share your stories, letters and priorities and more.
Imagine how much more we can accomplish together.
*We must KEEP THE PRESSURE ON to protect critical economic security programs like Medicaid, food assistance, education, and housing from harmful cuts. These programs not only help families, they help our national economy. Let the new Congress know that moms are watching. http://action.momsrising.org/sign/noharmfulcuts1/
While the recent fiscal cliff deal is an important victory, and a promising start to the New Year, MomsRising will keep working to ensure that the budget is not balanced on the backs of children and families. Remember, in two months, Congress must act again and MomsRising will continue fighting to protect Medicaid, food assistance, education, housing, and other programs that are critical to our nation's families. This was just one step in holding off devastating cuts. We have a long road before us. We urge the administration and Congress to prioritize the needs of children and families every step of the way.What's in the deal? Here is what we did together!
- 98% of Americans and 97% of small businesses will not see their income taxes go up.
- For the wealthiest Americans making over $400,000 a year, tax rates will increase to the level they were at under President Clinton--39.6%--when our economy created over 23 million new jobs. Those rate increases will be immediate, and they will be permanent. And tax benefits for folks making over $250,000 will be reduced.
- Millions of families will continue to receive tax credits to help raise their children and send them to college.
- Companies will continue to receive tax credits for the research they do, the investments they make, and the clean energy jobs they create.
- Automatic spending cuts that would threaten our national security and slash investments that build our economy and the middle class are temporarlity suspended.
- Two million Americans who lost their jobs through no fault of their own will continue to receive unemployment insurance so long as they are actively looking for a job.
*Let's introduce ourselves to the new Congress with a strong message about the priorities of mothers and families. Protect our national economy: Don't balance the budget on the backs of families and children. http://action.momsrising.org/sign/noharmfulcuts1/
Together we are a strong voice for women and families.