Be a Super Hero for Kids this Wednesday!Posted August 8th, 2011 by Claire Moshenberg
Moms to the rescue! We know you’re a superhero. That’s why we need you to show Congress how to be a superhero for kids!
This Wednesday, moms and kids across the country will come together for a national day of action to ask our Senators to be superheroes for kids and support comprehensive chemicals reform.
Toxic chemicals found in everyday items such as canned goods, plastic wrappers, cookware and drinking water, are linked to cancer, early onset puberty, and obesity. With comprehensive chemical reform, we can use the best science to give families and businesses the information they need to keep everyone safe and healthy.
Join parents and kids across the country at one of the Stroller Brigades! We’ll even provide super hero capes for kids to wear. Bring your friends, bring your families, everyone is welcome!
(Psst: We know that not everyone can join these moms in-person on Wednesday. But even if you can’t be there in-person, you can still play an important role. We’re doing online Day of Action activities all day on August 10th. Check our Facebook page and blog for more details as we get closer to the event.)
Hartford, Connecticut 12:00 PM
• Hartford’s Bushnell Park, near the Carousel
• Contact info and RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org; 860-232-6232
Wilmington, Delaware 11:00 AM
• 301 North Walnut Street, Suite 102L-1,
Wilmington, DE 19801
• Sign postcards and letters, kids put on capes Brief address from event organizers
• 11:30 AM Walk to Senator Carper’s office
• 12:00 PM Meeting with Senator Carper’s staff
• Contact info and RSVP: Laura Henderson, email@example.com
Lexington, Kentucky 10:00 AM
• Woodland Park: Meet at Woodland Park parking lot at the corner of Kentucky Ave and E High Street
• 10:15 March with strollers the the picnic shelter. Hear KY parents call for safer chemicals. Write your own letters and record video messages to our Senators McConnell and Rand
• 11:30 Send off a parent delegation to deliver the letters to our legislators
• Free snacks and fun for kids! RSVP and contact: Greg Capillo, firstname.lastname@example.org
Portland, Maine 11:30 AM
• Downtown Portland at the Canal Plaza – the courtyard space in front of the offices of Senators Snowe and Collins
• Contact info and RSVP: Emma, email@example.com
Baltimore, Maryland 11:00 AM
• Thames Street Park at the corner of Thames St and S Wolfe Street
• Gather for letter writing and then walk to Sen. Mikulski’s office to deliver your hand written letters. Capes available for kids!
• RSVP and contact: Heather Quick, firstname.lastname@example.org
Boston, Massachusetts 11:00 AM
• Boston’s City Hall Plaza
• Contact info and RSVP: Cindy Luppi, email@example.com, 617/338-8131 x208
Missoula, Montana 12:00 PM
• 12:00 PM – Meet at fish statues in Caras Park
• 12:00-12:30 PM– Hand-write letters to Senators Baucus, sign petition & hand out capes for kids
• 12:30 PM– Walk to Senator Baucus’ office to deliver letters
• Contact info and RSVP: Cassidy Randall, firstname.lastname@example.org
New York, New York 10:30 AM – Gather at Greenacre Park
• 217 East 51st Street, NY, NY
• 11:00 AM- Walk to Senator Gillibrand’s office (780 3rd Ave)
• Contact info and RSVP: Bobbi Chase Wilding, email@example.com
Portland, Oregon 10:00 AM
• North Park Blocks NW Park Ave Portland, OR 97209 (Between Couch and Davis St – meet at the playground)
• Contact info and RSVP: Renee Hackenmiller-Paradis, firstname.lastname@example.org; (503) 222-1963 X 110.
• Here is a link to the location on Google Maps.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 12:00 PM
• 12:00 PM at the Mr. Rogers statue across from Heinz Field located on Allegheny Avenue
• From there we will walk along the North Shore and end at the fountains behind Hyde Park restaurant. Bring a few items from your child’s toy bin. We will have an XRF Analyzer gun on hand to scan toys and jewelry. You will learn exactly what metals are contained in your children’s products including lead and cadmium!
• We will also have capes for kids to wear. They can participate in the fun and ask their Senators to be a hero by supporting the Safe Chemicals Act!
• To register for free parking and RSVP, contact Michelle Naccarati-Chapkis, email@example.com or 412-420-2290
Abilene, Texas 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
• The Grace Musuem, 102 Cypress Street, Abilene, TX
• Swing by the Grace Museum and write a letter to your local Congressman Randy Neugebauer, sign a postcard and find out how to protect your family from toxic chemicals! Letters will be collected at 12:00 PM and will be hand delivered to Rep. Neugebauer’s office.
• Contact info and RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org or 214.616.9007
Seattle, Washington 10:00 AM
• Location: 915 Second Avenue Seattle, WA (In front of federal building where both Senators’ offices are)
• Contact info and RSVP: Ivy Sager-Rosenthal, email@example.com 206-632-1545 ext. 122