30 Days Until #FoodRevolution Day!
This year, for the first time ever, May 19 is Food Revolution Day, a global day of action marking the commitment to food education in communities, schools and businesses worldwide.
Food Revolution Day is a chance for people who love food to come together to share information, skills and resources; to pass on their knowledge and highlight the world’s need to reinvigorate food education.
Thousands of people worldwide will participate in events to raise awareness about real food, preventing diet-related diseases, and to arm people with the knowledge and tools to make better food choices. Obesity is preventable yet at least 2.8 million adults around the world die each year as a result of being overweight or obese. In fact, the majority of the world’s population is more likely to die from obesity than from hunger (1). Kids are growing up overweight and malnourished from a diet of processed foods. Food Revolution Day aims to empower people to make better food choices that lead to healthier, happier lives.
Anyone and everyone can get involved in Food Revolution Day - schools, businesses, chefs, restaurants and food lovers all over the world will be taking part and hosting events to educate, empower and inspire people everywhere to stand up for real food.
WATCH The Food Revolution Day Video!
Join the Movement!
If you have food knowledge and skills to share, why not get creative and get involved in Food Revolution Day this May 19.
• Host a Dinner Party for Food Revolution Day; join people around to world in hosting a special meal in support of food education and increasing awareness about the food we eat. Get some great ideas on our dinner party page.
• Create a Local Food Event in your community, it’s is the perfect opportunity to talk about the food produced and sold in your local area, and to get people to begin thinking about their food choices. Whether it’s a community food education and cooking class, a grocery store tour or a farmers’ markets tour, get your community together and talking about food.
• Don’t want to host or run your own event but still want to be involved? Support through social media, spread the word about Food Revolution Day and search local events for ways to take part in your community.
• We want to keep cooking skills alive! Check out Jamie’s Featured Recipes and submit your own. Cooking and eating is a great way to bring everyone together, while ensuring you eat fresh, healthy, cooked from scratch meals, plus you’ll get some great ideas for what you can cook at your event. If you’re on Instagram, make sure to use #realfood for your food photos to appear on the recipes page on the website!
• Watch some great videos and add your voice! See why people support the Food Revolution, actions they’re taking, favourite ingredients and top tips from the community.
If you want to add a fundraising element to your event then great! 100% of net funds raised for Food Revolution Day will go to support food education projects for both children and adults through Jamie’s foundation work in the U.S., UK and Australia, and you can see exactly where the funds go on the Food Revolution Day website. Food Revolution Day is about standing up for real food and raising awareness about the food we eat, we don’t want fundraising to be a barrier for anyone to participate, so it is completely up to you whether you decide to make your event a fundraiser and if so how much you want to charge. While a tour of a farmers market may be free, you, as a local expert might want to ticket the experience to also fundraise for a good cause.
This May 19 join thousands of people worldwide and help Food Revolution Day educate, empower and inspire people everywhere to stand up for real food and to demand more from governments, organizations, schools and food manufacturers all over the world, in order to sanction the mission of better food, and improved food education for all.
Follow @foodrev on twitter to get all the latest news about #FoodRevolution Day and how you can get involved!
The Food Revolution Day Team
1. World Health Organisation