Washington State Cross-Issue Mobilization and Digital Advocacy Campaign Director – MomsRising Together and MomsRising Education Fund
Working closely with the Washington State MomsForce Senior Campaign Director (also referred to as the State MomsForce Director), and also working closely with the Social Media Director on the Technology team, the WA Campaign Director of MomsRising Together and MomsRising Education Fund will support cross-issue mobilization and digital advocacy in Washington State. They will work on multiple projects, as part of a collaborative team, to grow, train, and mobilize our membership with a specific focus on advancing racial equity and anti-racism in practice and outcome. The Campaign Director will work on a range of issues, including early childhood education, progressive revenue reform, the Working Families Tax Credit campaign, and paid family and medical leave outreach. The candidate must be located in the Puget Sound region with ability to travel to in-person events (when safe to do so) in the Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia areas, with periodic statewide travel. They will work remotely with other members of the team who are in different locations.
The Campaign Director will work closely with the State MomsForce Director to advance our core issues in the Washington State Legislature through a range of digital advocacy and mobilization strategies, from online organizing to supporting member leaders in direct lobbying. The Campaign Director will also work to grow and deepen relationships with our Washington State membership by cross-walking member organizing and issue campaigns with the MomsForce Fellowship program.
This is a full-time, exempt position, that is eligible for benefits. The Campaign Director will report to the WA State MomsForce Senior Campaign Director and work closely with other Washington state staff.
About the MomsRising Organizations:
MomsRising Together is a 501(c)(4) virtual organization with staff working around the country. MomsRising Education Fund is its affiliated 501(c)(3) public charity. Our core team of paid staff and volunteers work collaboratively to develop our strategies and campaigns. As virtual organizations, we use conference calls, IM, and email extensively to communicate, to create, and to care for each other. Our team enjoys a results-oriented work environment where the challenges and joys of balancing work, family, and personal time are understood.
1. Together with the WA Team, advance MomsRising’s movement in Washington State through cross-issue mobilization and movement building
2. Lead MomsRising’s digital advocacy in Washington State with creative, engaging, and action-generating strategy and content. This work will include:
- Crafting engaging mass email alerts, text messages, and social media content to generate direct contacts with state legislators or other lawmakers/leaders
- Developing, coordinating, and scheduling social media posts for Washington State legislative advocacy pages and alerts
- Managing the MomsRising WA State Facebook community through development of original content, engagement and relationship-building with members, and re-sharing national and state alerts to maximize exposure of calls to action
3. Cross-Issue Advocacy and Lobbying: Champion MomsRising’s Washington State Legislative Agenda through direct lobbying, member advocacy, coalition partnerships, and online and on the ground action.
- Represent the MomsRising in coalition as well as in sub-committees focused on mobilization and field
- Support organizational and member lobbying, in close coordination with the State MomsForce Director (Note: In-person lobbying will be limited to virtual engagement through the COVID-19 pandemic)
- Work closely with the WA MomsForce Fellowship lead to organize parent leaders across the state to take action on legislative priorities, including supporting the MomsForceFellowship Program.
- Recruit, staff, and support parent leaders in testifying in Olympia for key hearings in the State Legislature and in attending in-district and Olympia-based meetings with legislators.
- Work in collaboration with the MomsForce Director, the Washington State Team, and the MomsRising Together and MomsRising Education Fund media team to support strategic media engagement to increase awareness of early learning legislative priorities and providing opportunities for volunteers to speak to the media.
4. Member leadership development: Support development of new member leaders through 1:1 conversations, relationship building, story sharing
- Identify and cultivate potential storytellers for MomsRising issue areas through online engagement, action alert reviews, online story campaigns, texting campaigns, and other innovative tactics. Coordinate with the MomsRising Media Team to support new storytellers.
- Manage cross-issue member relationships through the MomsRising relationship management system
- Assist in the management and organization of online and offline events, leveraging volunteers for implementation.
5. Social Media Lead: Create and disseminate social media content for WA State. This includes:
- Social Media Events: tweetchats, blog carnivals, FB Live, etc.
- e-Outreach social shares.
- Articles/posts outside of the MomsRising content.
- Follow up on posts shared on social media (respond to comments, etc).
- Edit and update social media/editorial calendar as needed.
- Responsible for ensuring e-Outreaches created by their campaign team are published on the blog.
- Assist in rapid responses.
- Create images for sharing on social media.
- Actively participate in social media plans for the campaign area.
- Responsible for boosting posts outside of member growth campaigns.
Take on other assignments as needed to further the missions of the MomsRising organizations.
- 5 or more years of related work experience either implementing campaigns and/or engaged in community advocacy or organizing, legislative advocacy, and/or initiative campaigns.
- A demonstrated commitment to undoing institutional and systemic racism and other forms of oppression.
- Dedication to hardwiring racial justice and racial equity into daily work.
- Located in the Puget Sound region with ability to travel to in-person meetings in the Seattle, Tacoma, and Olympia areas, with periodic statewide travel. (Note: Staff are not expected to attend in-person meetings during the COVID-19 pandemic)
- Experience in leading successful organizing efforts in Washington State communities. Eager to train staff in organizing strategies.
- Proven leadership in working with coalitions and managing political or advocacy campaigns.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to teach and develop writing skills. Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment and make good decisions in service to the mission including recognizing when to bring issues or concerns to upper management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with experience in crafting campaign strategy and mobilizing diverse communities.
- Able to work independently, but also able to work collaboratively with state, federal, and issue-area teams.
- Skills and experience in helping manage staff and developing a cooperative and effective team.
- Interest in and passion for the missions of the MomsRising organizations.
- Demonstrated flexibility in making quick decisions during changing circumstances.
- Experience in managing complex projects and multiple concurrent campaigns.
- Comfortable with a virtual office. Able to communicate effectively via IM, conference calls, and email.
- At ease with technology and able to use technology effectively for organizing, writing, and online communication. Email proficiency is critical.
- Experience with social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc).
Preferred Qualifications (Not required):
- Spanish or Somali language skills are highly desirable
- Experience with early childhood education, progressive revenue reform, the Working Families Tax Credit, or paid leave policy areas
- Experience with lobbying, community organizing, or supporting advocacy efforts at the local or state level in Washington State
- Experience with constituent relationship management tools and blogging are desirable
- Experience working remotely
MomsRising understands that Covid-19 has presented new and unique challenges for working families and is committed to providing staff with a supportive and flexible work environment.
This position will require regular travel to Seattle and Olympia for in-person meetings, hearings, and events. MomsRising Together and MomsRising Education Fund reimburse for mileage, parking, and other travel costs. A valid driver’s license or other flexible transportation access will be required for this role. Note: Public transportation is extremely limited and time-intensive for travel to Olympia and you should expect to make at least 1 visit to the Legislature per week during the legislative session. MomsRising Together and MomsRising Education Fund Travel do not require staff to travel to in-person meetings during the pandemic unless and until it is safe to do so.
This is a virtual job with no physical office or office space stipend. Incumbent will work in their own home and communicate with coworkers through technology. Hours are flexible with some evening and weekend hours required.
Must be able to work at a desk for blocks of time. Must be able to communicate verbally. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to move objects/operate keyboards, reach with hands and arms, speak and hear. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Compensation and benefits:
This is a full-time, exempt position, with a salary of $60,000 to $70,000 commensurate with experience. MomsRising Together and MomsRising Education Fund provide a robust benefits package including eligibility for paid family and medical leave, medical/dental/vision coverage, generous PTO and sick time, and a Simple IRA retirement plan with an employer contribution. The organizations cover 75% of an employee's and any dependent's medical, dental, and/or vision coverage.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Washington State Campaign Director” in the subject line. Attach your resume and a letter telling us how you heard about this position and why you are interested. Only applications that include the requested materials will be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
It is expected that you will spend some of your time working for both MomsRising Together and MomsRising Education Fund and that you will have an employment relationship with each organization.
MomsRising Together and MomsRising Education Fund are Equal Opportunity Employers committed to diversity – all qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.