The numbers are shocking. Did you know the average 8-year old is drinking 64 ounces a week in sugary drinks that will—over the years—lead to diabetes, obesity, and heart disease? We need to do everything we can to reduce the amount of soda kids drink. Join us in calling on Governor Malloy to institute a [...]
Healthy Food for Kids!
Did you know? Almost 1 in 3 young people is at risk for nutrition-related diseases like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, according to the American Heart Association. But Moms and Dads can change this trend. We have tremendous power to keep our kids, schools and communities healthy. This year MomsRising's work on nutrition and food justice focuses on the following:
1. Getting soda out of kids meals:
2. Healthy school foods:
All hands on deck! We need your help to ensure ALL of our kids have access to healthy food. Join us:
- Good Food Force volunteers take action to build healthy schools and communities. Join us to get weekly updates on food issues, invitations to special online and on-the-ground events, and more. Membership is free and easy.
- We discuss food issues every Friday at 1pm ET during the #FoodFri Tweetchats on Twitter, and the Good Food Force Facebook Group.
- Check out ideas, tips and testimonials around junk food marketing to kids and healthy school foods on our Pinterest boards.
- Stay tuned for updates on local meet-ups and Google+ Live events, coming this spring and summer! (Join the GFF Facebook Group to get the news first).
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Food!
“If you look back through history, most people died the way my great uncle died. Most people didn’t die of cancer or heart disease; the lifestyle diseases that affect us in the West today. They didn’t die of these, because they didn’t live long enough to develop them. They died of injuries… and most of [...]
RecipeMy life can sometimes feel too hectic for cooking, but I really value eating healthy. That’s why I love these easy salmon and black bean cakes for dinner. I’m lucky that my husband Madison steps up in the kitchen and makes most of the meals. This time, my husband and I made them together and [...]
Tweetchat Happy 4th of July! This week we are celebrating with a healthy #FoodFri holiday recipe. Join @MomsRising and @MamasConPoder as we share sabroso/tasty recipes on July 3, 2015 at 1pm, EST! It's the perfect time to share your favorite recipes and find a few new ones as well. Don't let the warm weather keep [...]