MomsRising's Pennsylvania State Moms Force brought our voices to Harrisburg in January, reminding legislators that moms, dads and families around the state are counting on them to champion policies that boost our families and our economy including: Access to healthy food Affordable, high-quality early learning and childcare Universal, paid family leave Equal and fair pay [...]
Healthy Food for Kids!
Did you know? Almost 1 in 3 young people is at risk for nutrition-related diseases like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, according to the American Heart Association. But Moms and Dads can change this trend. We have tremendous power to keep our kids, schools and communities healthy. This year MomsRising's work on nutrition and food justice focuses on the following:
1. Getting soda out of kids meals:
2. Healthy school foods:
All hands on deck! We need your help to ensure ALL of our kids have access to healthy food. Join us:
- Good Food Force volunteers take action to build healthy schools and communities. Join us to get weekly updates on food issues, invitations to special online and on-the-ground events, and more. Membership is free and easy.
- We discuss food issues every Friday at 1pm ET during the #FoodFri Tweetchats on Twitter, and the Good Food Force Facebook Group.
- Check out ideas, tips and testimonials around junk food marketing to kids and healthy school foods on our Pinterest boards.
- Stay tuned for updates on local meet-ups and Google+ Live events, coming this spring and summer! (Join the GFF Facebook Group to get the news first).
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Food!
No matter what you are telling yourself, New Year’s has long passed. We are in Chinese New Year, we’re approaching spring -- but it’s still not too late to incorporate exercise in your and your family’s routine! Here are some of my favorite ones: 1. Frog Jumps Just like it sounds. Get down [...]
Welcome to #MilitaryMonday! As a veteran, military spouse, and mother of two school-aged children, I am excited to be a part of this new MomsRising blog series. The military community regularly faces unique challenges. Our mission is to create a space where we can lift up military voices in honor of the courageous sacrifices that you and your family make each day [...]
Tweetchat A community poisoned. Rashes, hair loss and unexplained illnesses. Children exposed to lead. Development halted before it even had a chance. The future is dismal for many of the young ones. Decreased IQ, behavorial and cognitive problems and a range of other health issues lie ahead. It sounds like the makings of a [...]