The 4th annual installment of Black Breastfeeding Week is upon us and I think we hit the mark this year. Of course, I’m biased, but a week of celebrating the healing, restorative and fun nature of joy feels like the antidote to a year of intense political happenings and turbulent social times. This year, we [...]
Healthy Food for Kids!
Did you know? Almost 1 in 3 young people is at risk for nutrition-related diseases like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, according to the American Heart Association. But Moms and Dads can change this trend. We have tremendous power to keep our kids, schools and communities healthy. This year MomsRising's work on nutrition and food justice focuses on the following:
1. Getting soda out of kids meals:
2. Healthy school foods:
All hands on deck! We need your help to ensure ALL of our kids have access to healthy food. Join us:
- Good Food Force volunteers take action to build healthy schools and communities. Join us to get weekly updates on food issues, invitations to special online and on-the-ground events, and more. Membership is free and easy.
- We discuss food issues every Friday at 1pm ET during the #FoodFri Tweetchats on Twitter, and the Good Food Force Facebook Group.
- Check out ideas, tips and testimonials around junk food marketing to kids and healthy school foods on our Pinterest boards.
- Stay tuned for updates on local meet-ups and Google+ Live events, coming this spring and summer! (Join the GFF Facebook Group to get the news first).
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Food!
In this era of political disagreement, it’s unusual to see political parties put aside their differences, join hands and work together for the greater good. But that’s exactly what happened recently in Minnesota around efforts to improve and increase access to healthy and affordable food. Minnesota is one of the lowest ranked states in [...]
Tweetchat The back to school season has started! For many this can be a time of stress so we want to make it easier for you. Join #FoodFri on August 19, 2016, for a bilingual tweetchat to discuss healthy back to school tips with @MomsRising, @MamasConPoder, our Spanish language sister account, and @BoksKids. We'll also [...]
Great news for healthy schools! The USDA released the final Local Wellness Policy Rule at the end of July. Wellness policies are “a written document that guides a local educational agency’s (LEA) or school district’s efforts to establish a school environment that promotes students’ health, well-being, and ability to learn,.” (USDA website) [...]