Jobs at MomsRising
We are a growing online and on-the-ground multicultural organization mobilizing the grassroots to advocate for a family economic security. We are a virtual team, so your location isn't an issue. MomsRising is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, veterans, and others are strongly encouraged to apply.
Associate Campaign Director - MomsRising.org
Family Economic Security Campaign
Location: Flexible. MomsRising is a virtual organization with staff working around the country.
Hours and duration: This is a full-time staff position with an anticipated start date in May 2014.
About MomsRising.org: We are a rapidly growing online and on-the-ground multicultural organization mobilizing the grassroots to advocate for family economic security on issues including paid parental leave and paid sick days; health insurance for all children; quality, affordable and accessible preschool and after school programs; flexible workplaces; fair wages and ending salary and hiring discrimination based on parental status and family responsibilities. We help citizens voice their support for legislation and culture change that support mothers and families in this country.
Our core team of paid staff and volunteers work collaboratively to develop our strategies and campaigns. As a virtual organization, we use conference calls, IM, and email extensively to communicate, to create, and to care for each other. We also meet in person for staff retreats each year. As a part of this lively and dedicated group, our team enjoys a results-oriented work environment where the challenges and joys of balancing work, family, and personal time are understood, respected, and celebrated.
Position overview: We are seeking an organizer with 2-5 years experience to join our core staff and work on the campaign for family economic security with a focus on paid sick days, paid family leave and fair pay. The Associate Campaign Director also works to grow our membership, and help raise financial support for the campaign. The Associate Campaign Director understands the possibilities that new communications technology opens up for organizing, and thinks creatively about how to take advantage of them.
We are looking for someone with experience working with communities of color, as well as with a track record of success in planning and executing advocacy, education, or candidate campaigns.
As Associate Campaign Director you will:
- Assist in crafting campaign strategy that effectively leverages online and offline tactics, both traditional and creative.
- Provide a range of technology support to the campaign teams including loading email alerts, testing and sending alerts, social media outreach, creating and updating web content pages.
- Assist in the drafting of compelling mass email alerts and appeals that result in members taking action or donating.
- Execute follow-up communications with legislators, including phone calls and written correspondence.
- Attend coalition and program partner meetings and conference calls as a representative of MomsRising.
- Assist in the management and organization of online and offline events, leveraging MomsRising volunteers for execution.
- Assist in planning, ordering and coordinating sales of MomsRising products and merchandise.
- Work as part of campaign teams to identify opportunities to move the MomsRising issues platform forward, grow the membership base, and develop financial support.
We are looking for someone who is:
- An organizer at heart: You should be eager to empower and engage others in the democratic process.
- A strong writer who is also able and willing to write collaboratively. Proficiency in email communications is critical.
- A strong self-starter, entrepreneurial and creative. The ideal candidate will be able to identify and leverage current events and pop culture to move our campaigns forward.
- Comfortable and productive in a virtual office. Able to communicate well via IM, conference calls, and email.
- Flexible and willing to do whatever needs to be done to make the project work.
- At ease with technology.You should know HTML and be familiar with variety of social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Tumblr, LinkedIn and more. If you're already a blogger, that's a bonus.
- Able to track a lot of moving parts and manage complex projects.
- Able to manage details, while keeping the big picture in mind.
- Willing and able to travel occasionally.
- Have a sense of humor.
- The ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. A health insurance stipend is offered and flexible work hours maybe arranged.
Knowledge and Experience: Strong social commitment and interest in planning and executing advocacy and education campaigns. Comfortable with technology and able to learn how to use technology tools creatively to provide both impact and efficiency. Experience working on advocacy initiatives, and with communities of color is desirable but not required.
Skills and Abilities: Able to work and communicate effectively in a virtual workplace environment. Must be flexible, organized, results and detail oriented, and possess a strong sense of urgency. Requires well developed interpersonal and communication skills, strong organizational skills, and the ability to work as part of a cohesive campaign team. Must be able to write clearly and professionally. Strong computer skills using HTML, word processing, spreadsheet, email, and social media applications. Ability to quickly learn and use new computer applications and tools as needed.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands: Work requires the use of personal computers and standard office equipment to prepare, send and retrieve files and other documents. Must have the capacity to communicate effectively in person or via telephone in a manner that can be understood by those with whom the person is speaking. Willingness and ability to travel periodically to meetings and events,including locations requiring air travel. May be required to sit or stand for minimum periods of one hour at a time. Ability to perform complex mental functions and concurrently manage multiple deadlines and projects. Note: the physical demands summarized by this description are representative of those that must be met to perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation may be available to assist qualifying individuals perform the job’s essential functions.
To Apply: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Family Economic Security Associate Campaign Director' in the subject line. Please attach your resume, a short writing sample, and three references with phone and email contact information. Only applications that include these materials will be considered.