A recent deal between Coca-Cola and Monster Energy reinforces some common challenges that parents face every day: How do we protect our children from companies that spend so much time coming up with new ways to sell things to our children? How do we keep our children healthy when billions are spent every year marketing [...]
Healthy Food for Kids!
Did you know? Almost 1 in 3 young people is at risk for nutrition-related diseases like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, according to the American Heart Association. But Moms and Dads can change this trend. We have tremendous power to keep our kids, schools and communities healthy. This year MomsRising's work on nutrition and food justice focuses on the following:
1. Getting soda out of kids meals:
2. Healthy school foods:
All hands on deck! We need your help to ensure ALL of our kids have access to healthy food. Join us:
- Good Food Force volunteers take action to build healthy schools and communities. Join us to get weekly updates on food issues, invitations to special online and on-the-ground events, and more. Membership is free and easy.
- We discuss food issues every Friday at 1pm ET during the #FoodFri Tweetchats on Twitter, and the Good Food Force Facebook Group.
- Check out ideas, tips and testimonials around junk food marketing to kids and healthy school foods on our Pinterest boards.
- Stay tuned for updates on local meet-ups and Google+ Live events, coming this spring and summer! (Join the GFF Facebook Group to get the news first).
Check out videos from our Food Power! Conference in Brooklyn, NY, including a special welcome from First Lady Michelle Obama!
Moms Blogging About Food!
There are two names for H.R. 1599: The Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act of 2015 and the Deny Americans the Right to Know (DARK) Act. There’s no doubt in my mind which is the more accurate. The proposed law would do nothing to make our food safer and would prevent families from getting more accurate [...]
Tweetchat Please join @MomsRising, @AmHeartAdvocacy and @CSPI Friday, July 24th from 1 pm to 2pm EDT for a #FoodFri tweetchat to discuss sodium. Congress, companies and some school food service organizations are trying to roll back sodium guidelines for school foods. Some reporters are calling into question the science behind the need to lower sodium [...]
Dear other Moms who want to know what we are feeding our children, ourselves and our families: I am reaching out as a member of MomsRising.org to encourage everyone to pick up the phone NOW to help stop this horrible pre-emptive measure that prohibits the democratic process and would make it impossible to choose what [...]