TAKE ACTION: Impress Your Kids: Sign up to be a Good Food Force Volunteer!
Calling all super parents!
Do you sometimes feel like kids are the targets of too much junk food marketing? Have you ever cringed when youheard what your child ate at school? Do you believe every family should have access to healthy and nutritious food? And do you love meeting other motivated super parents?
Then WE NEED YOU!
MomsRising is recruiting GOOD FOOD FORCE VOLUNTEERS to bring our work on healthy food for kids to your community.
Find out more!
It's easy! You don't have to be an expert on nutrition, and activities will fit your schedule and busy life!
Members of the Good Food Force are real-life superheroes who take action in their schools and communities to get the word out about healthy school foods, junk food marketing to kids, and strategies that are working to reduce childhood obesity. Together with MomsRising staff, they help advocate for healthier kids and families.
This fall, the Good Food Force will take action around two important moments in the fight against childhood obesity:
- pushing back against junk food marketing to kids, and
- ensuring kids have access to healthy foods at school.
New nutritional standards for school meals are being implemented so this is a critical time for parent input. The need could not be more urgent. Did you know that:
- More and more kids are at risk for diseases like Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease. 
- 40% of students buy and eat one or more snacks at school.  Although the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is finalizing new nutrition standards for the snacks and drinks schools sell through vending machines and a la carte lines, there's a long way to go towards ensuring all schools embrace these new requirements.
- Three-quarters (73%) of the foods advertised on TV shows intended for kids are for convenience / fast foods and sweets. 
Don't worry; we know how busy you are! Good Food Force Volunteers will choose which activities to participate in and activities will fit your schedule. Options will include:
- Sharing information about childhood obesity, school foods and junk food marketing to kids via your Facebook page, Twitter account or blog. (We'll provide sample posts!)
- Delivering success stories from schools around the country and a MomsRising Storybook in support of school lunch standards to your local school as part of our back-to-school delivery drive in September and October. (We'll provide materials!)
- Sharing a petition with friends and family urging Nickelodeon to stop marketing junk food to kids. (We'll send you a copy of the petition, and sample promo text!)
- Organizing conversations about childhood obesity in your community, for example through a local listserv or coffee chat. (We'll provide conversation starters!)
Sign on to find out more today! http://action.momsrising.org/signup/goodfoodforce1/
Every superhero needs a support team! In exchange for your participation, Good Food Force Volunteers will receive:
- Invitations to optional monthly online chats with experts working on childhood obesity and junk food marketing to kids
- The opportunity to meet and work with other motivated parents concerned about obesity and healthy foods!
- A badge to post on your website / blog / social media
- Group recognition on the MomsRising webpage
- Support and coaching for accomplishing the tasks above
- Fun superhero swag (to complete that superhero image)
To your stations! Sign up to find out more! http://action.momsrising.org/signup/goodfoodforce1/
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions. We'll also organize an orientation call with all potential Good Food Force members in September, during which we’ll discuss the actions coming up this fall.
Thanks in advance to all of our super parents ready to rise up, blast off, and make change happen! Together, we’re a powerful voice for healthy kids and families.